13.6.11

makeup, oh my!


Thank you to Kroger and CoverGirl for sponsoring this review. While CoverGirl provided me with a $30 gift card to purchase CoverGirl products at Kroger stores, the opinions I've expressed here are solely my own, represent my honest viewpoint, and not that of CoverGirl, Kroger, or Proctor & Gamble. I am making no claims about the products, just expressing my thoughtful opinion. Clever Girls Collective supports Blog With Integrity.

Can I be honest with you? I have been excited about this post, since I found out I was chosen. Review makeup? Awwwwwesome! So I had to do some research before I went out to actually purchase the CoverGirl makeup that I would be reviewing. I subscribe to several beauty magazines, so I flipped through those first. There are three CoverGirl ads that really made me interested in the product they were advertising: Drew Barrymore for SmokyShadowBlast, Taylor Swift for NatureLuxe and Ellen DeGeneres for CoverGirl & Olay Simply Ageless.


After checking out products and checking on prices, this was my initial shopping list:


I was a bit nervous though, even though I had done some price checking on one of my weekly visits to Target, I thought for sure the prices at Kroger would be a higher. I don't usually buy cosmetics there, only because in my past experience, the prices were much higher (unless they were on sale). 


The day I went shopping, I sort of combined it with my normal weekly grocery shopping trip. I hit the makeup first, as I knew I'd probably be there for a good amount of time perusing the CoverGirl selection.
First off I noticed the prices...not bad Kroger, I retract my previous statement about being more expensive. They were right on par with the prices at Target. I haven't purchased makeup at a grocery store in a long time, so I am not sure if this is a recent price drop, or it's been this way for a while, but regardless it was a pleasant surprise. I would be able to buy all 4 items!


I was able to get all the items on my list but 1: the NatureLuxe Mousse Mascara. I was a little disappointed because this was the top item on my list. According to the latest magazine ad that I seen for it, it says 'NEW', so maybe they haven't received the product at the store yet. Mascara is what I call my problem product. My eyes are so sensitive and many mascaras make my eyes sting after a while. I was really curious about CoverGirl's claim of "a light-as-air feel" and the fact that it's advertised to make lashes 20% lighter vs. more expensive mascaras was intriguing to me. I might have to try this product on my own at a later date.


So let's get down to business shall we?

CoverGirl SmokyShadowBlast
Color: 815 Bronze Fire


I am not big on eye makeup (mascara yes, eye color no). The reason why I am not big on it, the real reason...I can't make it look good. I need eyeshadow that goes on with a special magic wand. What I found appealing about this stick is that is is about as close as I am going to get to that magic wand scenario. Would I like to have a smoky eye? Um, yes... Can I do it myself? Um...no.


The stick was easy to use each tip was specially shaped to help me achieve that Drew Barrymore look. SmokyShadowBlast made it me not afraid to put on eye makeup. I wish I had this when I was in my friend's wedding last month. Instead I frustrated myself with the blending and where I should put the colors.
Did you know on the back of the packaging, there is a diagram of the eyelid that shows where to apply each color? Made it so easy for me to apply. I don't think I'd use it everyday, but I would keep this one around for special occasions. Really liked this product!

CoverGirl & Olay Simply Ageless Eye Concealer
Color: 210 Light




I have been wanting to try this concealer for a while. I really like Olay products and I felt this concealer was going to be extremely smooth. It did not disappoint. Many concealers that I have used have been thick and hard to smooth into my under eye area. In fact, most of them made the area look worse. Being in my mid-thirties, this isn't a problem area yet, but I since having a baby, I have had many sleepless nights. On many occasions my eyes have needed a 'pick-me-up'. I would consider adding this concealer to everyday make-up, as it is much better than the brand I am currently using.
 
CoverGirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm 
Color: 215 Hibiscus

I am a gloss kinda girl. I wear Chapstick on the regular. I knew I'd like this gloss balm right away...and I was right. It had a pleasant smell and the color was pretty and transparent. I don't know about anyone else, but lipstick has to have a pleasant smell and taste. Not that I am eating my lipstick or anything...but some lip products that I have used in the past have smelled yucky, were sticky or tasted funny. I have thrown out many new lipsticks because of the smell/taste/texture. This one is great and I have used it everyday so far.

Color: Black Brown


It wasn't my first choice...but overall the mascara was not bad. It wasn't anything spectacular, but I'd say it was clearly as good as the current mascara that I am using. Mascara is my Goliath - my problem product. Most make my eyes water and burn. I tend to lean towards natural/organic when it comes to foundations and mascara, which is why I originally was interested in the NatureLuxe version. The fact that this particular kind was washable and waterproof was appealing. I did not need eye makeup remover to take it off at night. It hasn't made my eyes burn so far either. I like the brush, as it is similar to the version I am using now. My lashes did not get clumpy at all and the mascara provided good definition. All in all, I was satisfied. Although, I would still be interested in trying the NatureLuxe waterproof version when it becomes available.  

Did you know that the CoverGirl Professional Mascara line is listed in the top 12 best drugstore mascaras? I saw this post on Yahoo's front page this morning: http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/p-best-drugstore-mascaras/p86742/page5

And there you have it!

I enjoyed reviewing the CoverGirl products. I did not own any CoverGirl products before today and I was very happy with my picks. I found the CoverGirl website to be very helpful if you are interested in buying their makeup. The only downside to buying makeup at a mass retailer is that most of the time you  are unable to try it out. I know I have stood in those makeup aisles for long periods of time looking a colors, hoping I am picking the right ones. I like that real people like you and I are honestly reviewing the products and sharing those opinions online. I find those helpful as well as knowing which products are beauty award winners. If they have won an award, that is a huge deciding factor for me because these are usually based upon opinions of people who know and work with these products everyday. When they recognize a product as being great, it makes me more inclined to purchase it because I value their opinions. I would encourage everyone to check out the website if you are interested in any of the products I reviewed here.


CoverGirl, Proctor & Gamble, Kroger & Clever Girls Collective: many thanks for this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment